Walking in Freedom
“For I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my flesh. For the desire to do what is good is with me, but there is no ability to do it. For I do not do the good that I want to do, but I practice evil that I do not want to do. Now if I do what I do not want, I am no longer the one that does it, but it is the sin that lives in me.” Romans 7:18-20
Paul understood his weaknesses as a human being. He knew that Jesus was his Deliverer. When I decided to give my yes to Jesus that was the beginning of learning what that meant to live for him. It has been a slow process learning what that means and sometimes growing closer to Jesus is stumbling in the grace given to me. The gospel must keep saving all of me. My heart, mind and soul.
I was on the playground at work and looked over to see a little boy sitting down on the sidewalk by himself. His hands covering his face and head down in a posture of knowing immediately that I could recognize he was in a time out. As I watched him cry and sit there he started to acknowledge the choice he made once again as he shook his head saying,“Not again.” I see this all the time on the playground with the kids. The ones that have been warned not to do something that look at you to do that thing again. They get caught in the act to realize the choice made wasn’t what they intended and now has landed them somewhere they never meant to be.
Knowing what we want to do and what we are instructed to do is a battle we fight within our minds each day. I am guilty like those kids in many ways of thinking I was meant to live my way and leaving my heart and mind to determine my path. I too will find myself in time outs making choices that God allows me to make to find out that wasn’t His intention but my own. Sitting in time out has become a place to recognize I have allowed sin in my heart.
My sin has a strength that can pull me in a direction that I am not even aware of until I am back in that place of realization once again knowing I am trusting in myself. I never meant to get there yet somehow I am finding myself there more times than I would like to recall.
Just like those kids I am still learning what it means to have self control. I have a daily choice of either trusting in myself or trusting in God. I think sometimes I have a better way of doing things to go ahead and blow through all the warning signs that I have been given to find myself in a time out forgetting that what I am allowing to lead me is pride in my heart. Not really acknowledging that one can lead me to thinking I can do things alone instead of inviting Holy Spirit to guide me. What is that for you?
I have been set free because I can know mercy and grace that shows me how to continue to walk in freedom. Dying to myself gives me freedom living in Christ.
I have to ask Holy Spirit to reveal those things that stand in the way of allowing God to rule and reign in my heart. What if you asked that question?
Father,
LORD, you have searched me and known me. You know when I sit down and when I stand up; you understand my thoughts from far away. Search me and know my heart; test me and know my concerns. See if there is any offensive way in me; lead me in the everlasting way. Like David we can say these words knowing that you hear us. Forgive me when I forget. Gospel freedom is walking in way of knowing that your grace and mercy will never change. Thank you Jesus.
Amen
No comments:
Post a Comment