Independent Spirit
“For I passed on to you as most important what I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures.” 1 Corinthians 15:3a
Paul said a lot he had a lot of words but these words were the very important. They are words that hold me knowing that I get to be made whole with a community of believers formed into Jesus more and more. My independent spirit apart from this truth can do nothing. I cannot produce righteousness on my own and the good news of the gospel is I am made completely perfect because of the sacrifice Jesus made for me.
I was that independent kid. No one was going to tell me what to do. I had to get the last word in with my parents. I decided I was fine not following God. Why should I obey something that just tied me down? At least in my mind that was my understanding for many years. I had to discover God's love for me on my own but little did I know that would become the very relationship that brought me life. The Scriptures were always there in fact I was that kid that excelled at memorization of Bible verses but I didn’t believe in my heart that I could know Jesus. No fault but my own. I can look back and see all those times God continued to pursue me and let me know he had better for me but until I surrendered none of that was going to happen. The gospel had to work its way into the independent spirit that was in me. That still holds true today even more so.
God doesn’t need my mind, he needs my heart. Independence is ingrained in me. It has been a very slow process of unlearning my ways to embrace the life I was meant to live in Christ. I was with my small group the other day sharing something that seemed God has been teaching me over and over. Thinking I was good in an area to then encounter, I was back there getting that lesson again. This time realizing, “Oh yeah I am doing things my own way instead of inviting the Holy Spirit to guide me.” Father, forgive me and move me back forward the way you desire..
Do you think this surprised God? His word says that He knows our thoughts before they are spoken. So now I just tell God what is going on in my mind and ask that he remind me of his truth. Meditating on God’s truth reminds my heart and mind to be dependent on God alone.
What if you did that knowing that the past presence and future of the gospel held you?
No comments:
Post a Comment