Father of Mercy
“I will bless the LORD who counsels me even at night when my thoughts trouble me. I always let the LORD guide me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.” Psalm 16: 7-8
Shame will come at me from nowhere. It sometimes is like it is something waiting in the corner of my mind that waits for me to take the bait. That one thought that is unchecked can begin to play that familiar feeling. Even as I know that God will counsel me in that it is that continual reminder to keep moving forward even in those thoughts. It isn’t the same thing as before when shame would cause me to hide and bury it to stop me and paralyze me. And if this is you let me tell you shame will always attempt to hold you down in lies until it is brought into the Light. For me it can come as, “look at you and they are looking at you” type of thought that will attempt to trip me up at times. God knows it but it is allowing what is hidden within my mind to begin to come out of my lips and let the Lord counsel me with His truth.
I wonder what David felt like when he was wrapped with the reality that what he was doing wasn’t working. That heaviness of shame held me down for years. The thinking that what I was doing wasn’t working but not knowing that hiding away was keeping me in the dark. His heart for us never changes even in the dark He is there. But like David I had to recognize that before realizing shame didn’t have to have a hold on me. How God desired to take what I was holding so close to me and wearing everyday and make me understand that my choices didn’t define my future. That is what stopped me from coming back to that thought of God never being able to meet me in my mess. It is the opposite. He is always ready to meet us in all of it. If we are ready for that change.
What if I was like David? Asking from that place that troubles me. Lord show me where I have allowed shame to creep back in. I trust in you alone. You will keep me steady. I will not be shaken. Shame is a false god instructing me. Help me believe like David that you hold my future.
Tell Him what is laying on your heart. He is listening. What would you say to shame?
No comments:
Post a Comment