Monday, May 25, 2026

Will and Work


 

 Will and Work


“For it is God who is working in you both to will and to work according to his good purpose. Do everything without grumbling and arguing, so that you may be blameless and pure, children of God who are faultless in a crooked and perverted generation, among who you shine like stars in the world, by holding firm to the world of life.” Philippians 2:13-15


This is not something I can do on my own. That word "work" is one that is done by the Holy Spirit within me to change my will to follow God's. Paul is reminding them to adopt the same mind as Christ. Emptying themselves and remembering that what they are enduring is because they live something greater than themselves. And that will be a heart remembrance every single day I wake up. He is the only Way, Truth, and Life. He counsels my heart and mind to remember that.


Fight the good fight of gratitude and thankfulness. Those were words I heard recently. Sometimes I don’t want to fight, I want to tap out. When it feels heavy and overwhelming. When more bad news comes to those closest to us. When it doesn’t seem to let up. It is almost like I can hear the mocking voice of my enemy, “Aren’t you done yet?” God fights for me.


I will have days when it seems like it is pressing in. One more person has texted me with other things they are dealing with. Knowing the One who goes before me and is with me in the battle. It is in praise I can remember that it is God working in it even as hard as it is something that I can’t see. Holding firm to the word of life.


When we leave prison we tell them, “Go shine your light!” It is the huddle up shaking hands when they part we look them in the eyes and say that. "Go BE the Light." Those hands that shake ours leave to go back into the cells to their reality but for a time we get to gather with them reminding them they are not their choices and God has a plan for them. God has a plan even in the really hard things. You are not your choices. He is still the rescue plan.


But it is up to me to be that Light even when everything feels dark. Not because I can but because I know that what He is working on in me will be accomplished by growing more dependence upon Him. 


Father,

Sometimes it is hard to praise you in those things we don’t understand. But you aren’t asking us to trust in our feelings, you are reminding us that you hold it all. Giving you that authority places me back at your feet Jesus. It is because of those really hard days we can know in the quiet you are working. Forgive me when I rely upon what I feel and think. I turn back and know that you will turn me back towards what you desire. So Jesus keep working your will in me. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creation Brings Glory

This picture was taken by a good friend that got to witness this display of glory. On top of mountain above the clouds she witnessed it. I a...